Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Oh Momma Chia!

 

It is almost 11:30 am and I have already learned a valuable lesson. 
Chia seeds are good. Really good. In moderation. 

I had been meaning to go out and buy a bag of Chia seeds for a few months now. Every time I was at Mother's Market or Sprouts I would totally forget, however with the new year and resolutions that come with it I made it a priority to get my hands on some. So last night I picked some up along with some Almond Milk Yogurt ( trying to slowly say adios to dairy) and Nutritional Yeast (because I swear I am doing this whole "clean eating thing", let's see how long that lasts). 

I excitedly went home and made myself some green tea put about a teaspoon of chia seeds in my cup and sat my booty down to watch the new episode of the New Girl. At first the texture caught me off guard and was like, "ugh it has to get better", and it did! 

Then this morning and Isabella and I were running late yet again, I dumped a big ol' tablespoon (yes tablespoon!) in my morning tea and about half a tablespoon into my cup of yogurt. BAD IDEA. By the time I got to work my yogurt was super thick and chunky and my tea was about a 1/4 full with expanded chia seeds. 

You see Chia seeds absorb around 9x their weight in liquid and well I put a lot of chia seeds in my drink. Lesson learned. I have been trying to eat my yogurt for the past hour and I have not even tried to finish my tea. Chia are packed with fiber, which helps you feel full which is great! Next time I will definitely watch the amount of seeds I add to anything that I make. 

Despite the mess this morning, I am really looking forward to incorporating Chia seeds into my diet, because they are full of good for you nutrients like antioxidants, Potassuum and Magnesium!

No comments:

Post a Comment